Tuesday, 17 April 2018

You're the kind of girl I write songs about by Daniel Herborn

Genre: YA, Romance

Pages: 345

Published: May 2015

Writing Style: Alternating points of first person views between Tim and Mandy. 

Warnings: Swearing

Summary:

Tim's a young singer-songwriter with a guitar case full of songs and dreams of finding an audience to embrace his tunes.

Mandy's obsessed with music and compulsive dreamer. She's longing for something more fulfilling than daytime TV and cups of tea with best friend Alice, something like the excitement and passion of rock n' roll.

When their eyes meet at a gig, sparks fly across a crowded room and hope burns in their hearts. But in a city of millions and a scene overrun with wannabes, can they ever get it together? Will Mandy's nerves doom their romance before it even starts? And where does the darkness in Tim's songs come from?

Description above taken from Goodreads.com -> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23487678-you-re-the-kind-of-girl-i-write-songs-about?ac=1&from_search=true

What made me pick up this book?
Music is a huge part of my life, while at the library I came across this book actually put back in the wrong section - Absolutely lucky for me!! And.. it is set in Australia by and Australian Author, which is even a bigger bonus for me!

Overall Enjoyment
I think that I would have enjoyed this book better had I created a playlist of the suggested songs by Daniel Herborn, while reading this book. I absolutely loved this book, I loved the setting and the pace. Daniel Herborn had a way of expressing and explaining situations without too many words.

Characters
Mandy
Mandy has just finished college and is struggling to figure out exactly what she wants to do at university. She is described as a music loving, fashion hating, people hating hipster. And I loved her. I found her relate-able in the sense that everyone is fighting to be different, everyone wants to hold onto something that shows they are not the regular run of the mill, yet no one really knows what to do to make this happen. She also finds out some very confronting issues that Tim has gone though, and she doesn't know how to deal with it. This is such a refreshing aspect to read in YA. Usually the character hears of something tragic happening and suddenly has all the answers, but the truth is no one truly has the right way to deal with tragedy and Daniel Herborn reflects this in Mandy very well.

Tim
Tim is an upcoming artist that is still relying in cover songs and party bookings to get his voice out there. Tim ended up being a complex character with a lot of tragic backstory components. He fell in love with Mandy oddly quickly, which wasn't comforting, especially when he wrote a song about her after meeting for the first time. But I think Daniel Herborn manged to describe and rectify the way Tim feels. 

Positives
Character Development. One thing I particularity liked about this novel was the lack of full body descriptions of the characters. The physical descriptions of each Character is only mildly discussed and mostly we learn about the person behind the looks.
The Music. Oh. My. God! Daniel Herborn has some amazing song suggestions in this book. Which makes sense as both the main Characters and the secondary character are obsessed with music. Thankfully Daniel put a great list of songs that inspired this novel at the back.
The Depression Aspect. I always find it hard to find a book that explores depression as real and subtly as Daniel Herborn did.
The overall story. It just flowed nicely, and everything about this book made me want to keep reading!! However, by the look of Goodreads, this is an unpopular opinion. Oh Well. 
The Relationship. Just seemed natural, from the chance meeting, to the back and forth turmoil of trying to find each other again, to finally getting together. It just worked. 

Negatives
I really just don't have anything... 

Did this book make me cry?
No. But there were no overly sad themes to this book. 

Did this book make me laugh? 
Yes, Daniel Herborn is a witty writer, which makes sense since he is an Australian.

Did this book frustrate me? Why? 
No. I could not in anyway put this down. 

Did this book get Tedious? Why?
Not at all. At any point I thought it may get annoying, Daniel just change the direction and made it all fall together nicely. 

Would I recommend this book? 
I think by now you have probably figured out that I would 100% recommend this book. I actually loved this book so much, that I am hoping to find more written by Daniel Herborn. 

I would give this book
5 out of 5 stars for Writing
5 out of 5 for Creativity
5 out of 5 stars for Overall Enjoyment

***I do not intend to offend, anger or upset anyone over a book that I write a review about. This is just my opinion.***

No comments:

Post a Comment