Monday, 9 April 2018

Love Junkie by Rachel Resnek

Genre: Biography

Pages: 256

Published: November 2008

Warnings: This book is about a sex addict, there are very vivid and disturbing sexual scenes and Strong language. 

Summary:
Rachel Resnick hits her forties single, broke, depressed, childless a train wreck. After an ex-boyfriend breaks into her home and vandalizes it, Resnick takes the time to look back over her romantic and sexual history to ask the question: What is wrong with me? Her addiction to sex and love has cost her in damaging ways throughout the course of her life. At the root of her issues: a Dickensian childhood and a haunting experience she must finally confront.
Above summary taken from Goodreads.com - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3176433-love-junkie?from_search=true

Overall Enjoyment
......

This was... so much to take in in such a short time frame.

Image result for exhausted gif

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I think I need to read it again to fully appreciate the dramatic change Rachel made by the end.

What made me pick up this book?
I am a sucker for a good biography. I was staying at my sister’s some years ago in the spare room; this is where my sister keeps a large hoard of books, especially books that are not necessarily appropriate for her kids to gain interest in. While lying in bed I noticed that she had three copies of Love Junkie by Rachel Resnick. A book that must be owned more than once must be worth reading – right?

The Characters
The infamous Rachel Resnick
Rachel is a sex addict, something she admits very early in the book. This is from a life of childhood trauma and learning from her mother, an non-diagnosed sex addict. Rachel is a completely relate-able person; she speaks of desperation and heart ache that without having experienced it would be hard to understand.

Rachel’s story involves minor characters and a particularly abusive lead boyfriend, but I did not find any of them worth mentioning.  

Positives
Rachel’s writing style is unique in that when writing this book about her past she is fully aware of her downfall. He book is full of self-hatred and witty comments that pull together to create a very enjoyable, yet heart breaking read.

Negatives
I can see how someone who is not aware of relationships like Rachel’s would not enjoy this book. It is harsh and invasive, exploring erotic and abusive themes. This book is not for the faint hearted.

Did this book make me cry?
No.

Did this book make me laugh?
Yes, in some parts. Rachel Resnek is a very witty writer.

Did this book frustrate me? Why?
Yes. Because I wanted Rachel to understand she was better than the drop kicks she was dating. I have witnessed friends in these situations and it makes you want to scream.

Did this book get tedious? Why?
No. Love Junkie was fast paced and exiting. I was eager to finish, with the hope that Rachel get the help she needed.

Recommend?

Yes and No. This would be a hard book to recommend, on one side I want to share this book and it’s course themes and raw emotion to everyone. But on the other side I would be very cautious about recommending this book because it is intense, and I would not want to make anyone uncomfortable or offended. So – Read at your own discretion.

I would give this book
5 out of 5 stars for Writing
 I will not rate for Creativity on a Biography
5 out of 5 stars for Overall Enjoyment

***I do not intend to offend, anger or upset anyone over a book that I write a review about. This is just my opinion.***

No comments:

Post a Comment