Pages: 152
Published: January 2006
Writing Style: Third Person
Writing Style: Third Person
Warnings: None
Summary:
Sylvie has always been the odd one out in her family. Her mother is a celebrated artist, known for her bohemian lifestyle. Her father, long estranged from the family, is a respected poet and academic. Sylvie's two beautiful sisters and her big brother are also making their mark in the design world.
Sylvie hasn't an artistic bone in her body. On the verge of turning thirty, back living in the family home in Sydney and working for her mother and sisters, she feels stuck in major rut.
Then her brother Sebastian steps in with a rescue plan. He offers her a room in his Melbourne apartment for as long as she likes, on one condition. In an updated version of a treasure hunting game they played as children, she has to follow his instructions and go exploring the city.
Within days, she's doing things she's never done before, going to places she's never been and beginning to think of ideas for a new career. She is also getting to know a very lovely man. Life is looking up. Then Sebastian reveals one final challenge.
Description above taken from Goodreads.com ->
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/82445.Odd_One_Out
Sylvie has always been the odd one out in her family. Her mother is a celebrated artist, known for her bohemian lifestyle. Her father, long estranged from the family, is a respected poet and academic. Sylvie's two beautiful sisters and her big brother are also making their mark in the design world.
Sylvie hasn't an artistic bone in her body. On the verge of turning thirty, back living in the family home in Sydney and working for her mother and sisters, she feels stuck in major rut.
Then her brother Sebastian steps in with a rescue plan. He offers her a room in his Melbourne apartment for as long as she likes, on one condition. In an updated version of a treasure hunting game they played as children, she has to follow his instructions and go exploring the city.
Within days, she's doing things she's never done before, going to places she's never been and beginning to think of ideas for a new career. She is also getting to know a very lovely man. Life is looking up. Then Sebastian reveals one final challenge.
Description above taken from Goodreads.com ->
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/82445.Odd_One_Out
What made me pick up this book?
I think I picked up this book from the Lifeline Bookfair for a couple of dollars. I have had it for maybe 3 years, and wanted a short read during the 24hr read-a-thon that I did on 15th April 2018. At only 152 pages how could I go wrong??
Overall Enjoyment
I think overall this book was too short. It was neither my favourite all time read nor my least favourite. I felt that maybe it ran a bit short, however, Monica McInerney managed to wrap it up nicely without becoming too long winded.
Overall Enjoyment
I think overall this book was too short. It was neither my favourite all time read nor my least favourite. I felt that maybe it ran a bit short, however, Monica McInerney managed to wrap it up nicely without becoming too long winded.
Characters
Sylvia
I saw a lot of myself in Sylvia, from the over controlling and disinterested mother, to the caring older sibling who takes time to help make her life better. The betrayal of Sylvia was very well constructed. She was portrayed as a heart broken and battered woman who had suffered from many years of mental abuse. Everything she did reflected the doubt she had on herself, and it wasn't until she moved in with her Great Aunt that she started to respect herself. It was actually a great character development arch.
I saw a lot of myself in Sylvia, from the over controlling and disinterested mother, to the caring older sibling who takes time to help make her life better. The betrayal of Sylvia was very well constructed. She was portrayed as a heart broken and battered woman who had suffered from many years of mental abuse. Everything she did reflected the doubt she had on herself, and it wasn't until she moved in with her Great Aunt that she started to respect herself. It was actually a great character development arch.
Positives
Character Development. It was just a really refreshing way to create Sylvia in to a strong feminine character. By the time we reached the end it was relieving and that is great writing.
Short and Sweet. For once the shortness of the novel was beneficial in a positive way, the story didn't drag or add any unnecessary additions.
Mental Abuse. I think the betrayal of the mental abuse was well done. It is probably one of the most relate-ale and believable fiction pieces I have read.
Short and Sweet. For once the shortness of the novel was beneficial in a positive way, the story didn't drag or add any unnecessary additions.
Mental Abuse. I think the betrayal of the mental abuse was well done. It is probably one of the most relate-ale and believable fiction pieces I have read.
Negatives

Did this book make me cry?
No. But there was no story arch that warranted crying.
Did this book make me laugh?
Yes. I found Sylvia's character written comically in some points.
Did this book frustrate me? Why?
Did this book frustrate me? Why?
Not really. It was too short, but that wasn't a deal breaker.
Did this book get Tedious? Why?
It was not long enough to get tedious.
Would I recommend this book?
Yes absolutely. Not as my favourite, but it is a good quick read that may even awaken a slump.
I would give this book
5 out of 5 stars for Writing
3 out of 5 for Creativity
3 out of 5 stars for Overall Enjoyment
***I do not intend to offend, anger or upset anyone over a book that I write a review about. This is just my opinion.***
No comments:
Post a Comment