Tuesday, 17 April 2018

Everything Left Unsaid by Jessica Davidson

**THIS REVIEW HAS SPOILERS - I honestly do not know how to write this review without spoilers***

Genre: YA, Romance

Pages: 301

Published: August 2012

Writing Style: Alternative points of first person view between Tai and Juliet

Warnings: Swearing, Terminal Cancer

Summary:

Tai and Juliet have been best friends forever - since they met at kindy and decided to get married in first grade.

They understand each other in a way that only best friends can. They love music, beach walks, energy drinks and, they slowly discovering each other.

As they dream of adventures beyond the HSC - a future free from homework, curfews and parents, a life together - their plans are suddenly and dramatically derailed.

For Tai is sick. And not everything you wish for can come true.

Description above taken from Goodreads.com -> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14622354-everything-left-unsaid?from_search=true

What made me pick up this book?
To be honest, I was looking for a quick and easy YA Romance. Based on the description I figured this was exactly what I was looking for.

Overall Enjoyment

.........

Image result for screaming gif

Image result for sad screaming gif

That is all.

Characters
Juliet
Juliet is just a normal girl, goes to school, fights with her mum, and cannot wait to get away with her best friend turn boyfriend. Having first person perspective, give the reader a heartbreaking story of watching someone they love die. It was so devastating from Juliet's point of view.

Tai
Oh, Tai. I just fell in love with Tai, and when he got sick I mimicked Tai's anger and annoyance at all the people in his life. He explains how they always cry and always tip toe around his cancer. They hate when he talks of dying, but Tai is just trying to come with terms to the fact that he is dying, and no one is helping him. 

Positives
Tai's Perspective. It was such a raw and honest view through Tim's eyes. He spoke of the moments when he was at his lowest, expressing that he could "feel" the tumor. We also get to experience the first person account of what it is like when everyone around you is avoiding the "Elephant in the Room". It was an absolutely fascinating and beautiful way to bring this story together. 
The Romance. It was so refreshing that the romance blossomed so early. There was no back and forth, no will they won't they. Juliet confessed her love and Tai immediately confessed his right back. This would be beneficial in so many YA books. 
The writing. I just feel in love with this writing style. Jessica Davidson has a gift. 
The Fight. At one stage Juliet kisses another guy, and Tai finds out. This was such a sad moment in the book because Tai realizes how much he has been pushing Juliet away, and Juliet suddenly realizes that Tai is going to die, without a doubt. I don't have the words to properly describe the emotions I felt during this interaction. 

Negatives
I don't have any. 

Did this book make me cry?
Oh. Did this book make me cry? Um... yes. I ugly cried from about 50 pages to the end. Then I continued to cry (and worry my fiance) for an additional half an hour.

Image result for ugly crying gif

Did this book make me laugh? 
Yes. There were very dark moments, but there were times when humor broke through.

Did this book frustrate me? Why? 
Sort of. I think Jessica Davidson wrote from her character perspectives so well, that whatever they felt strongly about, I too started to feel strongly about. 

Did this book get Tedious? Why?
No. 

Would I recommend this book? 
Absolutely. I cannot think of a single reason why I wouldn't. Except maybe if the person I was recommending to someone who doesn't like sad books. Even then, I would probably still recommend with a disclaimer. 

I would give this book
5 out of 5 stars for Writing
5 out of 5 for Creativity
5 out of 5 stars for Overall Enjoyment

***I do not intend to offend, anger or upset anyone over a book that I write a review about. This is just my opinion.***

No comments:

Post a Comment